Merry Christmas in February! I hope you don’t mind, but I went ahead and already started on my holiday crafts 🙂 And I figure that will give you enough time to start on these projects too! I’ve got a new afghan in the works and it’s going to be made up of these Christmas Lights Granny Squares! I know they kinda look disconnected right now, but I plan on not only joining the squares themselves with a nice border in-between but also “stringing” them together with a long black chain of yarn or maybe a surface slip stitch… I still have to figure it out and I promise to put all those details in a follow up final post of the finished afghan!
- Bernat Super Value yarn in Berry Red (or whatever color you want your light bulb in),
- Black, and White.
- Shop all the colors on Yarnspirations.com!
- Size H Crochet Hook
- Tapestry Needle
Corner: 2 DC + chain 2 + 2 DC all in one stitch
Finished Size: Approximately 6.5 tall by 5.5 wide. It’s not a true “square” but the shape is going to be fun for this afghan!
Christmas Light Granny Square Pattern:
with Red yarn (or bulb color of your choice)
Magic ring, chain 1 and make 8 SC in ring, join, chain 1
- Round 2: 2 SC in first 3 stitches, HDC +DC in next, DC +HDC in next, 2 SC in remaining 3 stitches, join, chain 1
- Round 3: SC in first 7 stitches, HDC + DC in next, DC + HDC in next, 7 SC in last, join, chain 1
- Round 4: 2 SC in first, SC in next 7, HDC + DC in next, 2 DC in next, DC + HDC in next, SC in next 6, 2 SC in last. You can either join or leave unjoined for a minute so you can see your stitches better for the next round.
With white yarn
- Round 5: Join white yarn in 3rd stitch over. Chain 3 + DC + chain 2+ 2 DC all in one stitch (this will be your first corner), HDC in next, SC in next 4, HDC in next, CORNER, SC in next 4, CORNER, HDC in next, SC in next 4, HDC in next, CORNER, switch to black yarn, SC in last 3, join with white yarn to 3rd chain in beginning chain 3, chain 2
- Round 6: DC in each stitch around making DC + chain 2 + DC in each corner, when you get to the black stitches, DC in the back loops only, join to first DC, chain 2
- Round 7: DC in each stitch around making DC + chain 2 + DC in each corner, join to first DC, fasten off.
At this point you can feel free to make any border you choose. I used gray yarn and made a SC in each stitch around and 2 SC + chain 2 + 2 SC in each corner. Please keep in mind that I do plan on continuing the border a bit more before I join my squares. I just haven’t decided what I am going to do yet.